Wednesday, November 18, 2009

loving people - because people matter

...that's Bridgetown's mission statement.

Calvin. 'In a word, his week was depressing.' He doesn't have a home & I prayed with him that God would lift the weight of the world from his shoulders.
Teresea - was battered & lost everything. Her being beaten made something switch off in her kids, Angelina & Shane. Now they're Jehovah's Witnesses. She took my number.

Adina is 26 and in the church's 24/7 (after prison) program. She dirt bikes. Got jacked doing a front flip at the fair a while back. She views God as a puppetmaster & us with strings attached to our appendages.

Lauren is my favorite person on earth. She works at the Q.

Jenny also works at the Q. These girls are beautiful. Bored with what the world has to offer.

Marshall & Lesley Snider started Bridgetown (homeless) ministries in Portland. They get it. They understand that Jesus was real & came to meet the needs of real people. Jesus wasn't the type to say, "I'll give you this sleeping bag if you come to church with me." No. You're cold, I have a blanket, it's yours.

Papa's in India on an administrative business trip for the church.

Mama is moving into her apartment in North Carolina.

Amanda, Jaymi, Erin, Joy, Brenda, Shelby, Karlie, Melissa, Jessica, Megan, Kevin, Trever, Robby, Cyle, Elisa, Jeff, Kindra, Peggy, Wyatt, Aubrey, Katie, Charlotte, Brittany, Ryan, Eric (says i like the way you dance...i like the way you move...at work today ugH), Shayla, Ashton, Aaron, Chelsey, Donna...

So yes. There's what's on my mind. Among other things. They all have needs. Real needs.

God is showing me that the Navigators style of ministry is a tad off. Of course I always knew it was uncomfortable. We're supposed to go up to someone & ask them about something more personal than their sexuality: their spirituality!? hah, no! Wow.

Okay, come on up here. Sit on my lap.

I wake up. I get to eat my favorite meal ever. Cereal. But not just any cereal. It's the kind I only eat at gram & papa's. Fiber One honey clusters with banana slices, & Pumpkin Flax granola. MmmmmMMMMmm good. All I eat is cereal & coffee & smoothies (by myself). By the way, I'm staying with gram until papa comes back. Thanksgiving, basically. Nice.

I invite gram to watch my Beth Moore Stepping Up video with me. Then I head to work. I'm bored. The usual lunch rush was late, so I told Katie to count, then come find me. I hid in the back, behind a cart & covered my face with my plastic gloved hands. She saw me right away, as soon as she turned the corner. Eric likes me, but he doesn't like church. haha, substitute Eric's name with basically anyone at Qdoba. Anyway, I walk in the door to Peggy sweeping. It's uber stressful. I trip & tip-toe around her cleaning gear right in the entry way. (Keep in mind I'm exhausted from work) I head out to the hot tub that I broke the night before. The jets wouldn't turn off...now they're off & won't turn on. I check the thermometer. 106. Nice. Couldn't have been more than 16 minutes & I'm as relaxed as I want to be. I get out and ....oooh great. I can't hear again. This always happens when I'm dehydrated & could faint at the drop of a hat. My ears feel tight, my head feels light, & why is my heartbeat coming from my skull? I lean into the bathroom faucet & turn on the water, knowing it's my best hope. SCREEEEEECH goes the water. ahhh! Not cool. The sound of running water sounds like chalk boards in my dehydrated head. I collapse on my (guest)bedroom carpet in my bikini. And I lay there until my brain registers that Peggy has been vaccuuming the living room for what seems like lightyears. Vexated, I abruptly jump up to close the door.
Mmm that was relaxing indeed. I died a little this afternoon. I suppose the body is supposed to stay at 98.6. Psh. Whatever makes you Harder. Faster. Better. Stronger.
Peggy & I talked over dinner. The Spirit decided to join us, & I just bawled. Bawled. Uh huh. God is moving my heart around. Aaah wow.

No comments: